So you want to start a School-Based Apprenticeship and Traineeship (SBAT) but you don’t know how to get the ball rolling, read this page for important information about the SBAT eigiblity and enrollment process.

Am I eligible for SBATs?

You’re eligible to participate in a SBAT if you are:

  • Enrolled in a secondary school in Victoria (either VCE or VCAL).
  • At least 15 years of age.
  • An Australian or New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.

When can I enrol?

We have a term intake schedule that fits you and your school’s schedule. You can enrol in a SBAT for your desired course at the start of every term*.

*Excluding Early Child Education and Care.

Do I need to bring anything to enrollment?

You’ll need to speak to your parent or your guardian and your school about enrolling in a SBAT. Your school will send us an Expression of Interest Form. Once we receive this form, the next step is to attend an enrolment session. Make sure you have the following information ready:

  • Photo ID
  • Medicare Card
  • Birth Certificate or Passport
  • Certificate of Australian Citizenship/Permanent Residency (if applicable)
  • Health Care Card (if applicable)
  • Unique Student Identifier (your school can provide you with this information)
  • Victoria School Number (your school can provide you with this information)
  • Copy of any previous qualifications.

What happens at the enrolment session?

There’s quite a bit of paperwork involved in the process, so, it’s best if you can get your parent or guardian to come with you to help the process finish quickly. You’ll also need to get your parents or guardian to sign your enrolment form before we can lodge the document.

Read Our SBATs Guide

Popular apprenticeships and traineeships